Thursday, December 26, 2013

Update.

So much to update on!

Friday was my first OB appointment (so Brad came with me). We met our doctor for the first time and loved him. He was so friendly and seemed so on top of everything. Told me there is absolutely no reason that I should gain more than 20-25 pounds, so he wants me to keep an eye on that. Difficult during the holidays, but otherwise I'm totally on board.

We did a standard checkup, family history, etc, and then he casually mentioned that because I was on medication and my ovulation was a little delayed, we might want to schedule an ultrasound. Inside my head, I'm thinking "YES. Sign me up for that immediately! I was going to beg for one if you didn't offer it first" but externally I played it cool and said "yeah, I mean, if you think that's a good idea I think we might be interested". SCORE.

So Brad and I went next-door to the hospital and got set up for an ultrasound. Let me tell you - I was SO NERVOUS. But our doctor came over with us to make sure everything was okay (seriously. I really like this guy) and as soon as we saw the little jellybean (only one!) and a flicker of a heartbeat (such a relief!) he took off.
So without further ado, here is a picture of our beautiful growing baby!


They did some measurements and determined that I was 7 weeks along at that appointment. That puts me with an estimated due date around August 8th.

The doctor also eased my fears greatly when, after we saw the heartbeat, he said that our chance of first trimester miscarriage had just dropped from 1 in 4 to 1 in 100.
Yeah. I like those odds much better.
We're still not out of the woods, but I think that's what being a parent is all about. There's always going to be a little bit of worry, and it's just a matter of embracing the joy while you can. And right now we are *so* joyful.


After the appointment, we went to grab the cheeseburger I'd been craving all week (yum!) before hitting the road and heading to Richmond. We relaxed with my parents for a bit, and broke the news to my sister the following morning. Her reaction was priceless. A little bit of shock, then joy, then "I'm going to be such a bad influence". Not a surprise for anyone who's met her.

Saturday afternoon we drove to Chesapeake to hang out with Brad's family for Christmas. We made a quick stop at the Williamsburg Outlets (note - trying on clothes is significantly less fun when you're bloated and nauseous). On Sunday Brad's sister got into town and we spilled the beans with the "bun in the oven" t-shirt I had ordered. It took them a while to catch on, but once Brad's mom had figured it out, there was lots of shouting and hugging and happiness. It was fantastic!
Christmas overall was great. I slept a lot and ate a lot of crackers, but otherwise felt pretty good most of the weekend/week. It was really great to spend so much time with his family, especially with so much joy in our hearts.

It's finally starting to feel real (all of Brad's Christmas gifts to me were pregnancy-related, which was pretty awesome) and I just can't imagine being any happier (despite the constant queasiness). It is so so worth it.

Still not showing much besides bloat, 7 1/2 weeks in.

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment